This is the central square in Zagreb, named after Count Josip Jelacic. The history of the square dates back to the 17th century. The oldest standing building is situated at number 18 and was built in 1827. Count Josip Jelacic is one of Croatia s greatest heroes. The statute was first installed on 19th October 1866, and then removed by Communist goverment in 1947(square was renamed into Republic square). The statue was hidden in cellar of the Gliptoteka gallery till 1990 when was reinstaled. On the east part of the square is well Mandu1evac. The legend say pretty Mandusa was giving water from the well to the passing soldiers. On Croatian, word zagrabiti means to poop-therefore that is the root of Zagreb name.
Today, this is the popular meeting point and also the main hub for trams.
How to find it?
Best way to access the square is by trams (lines: 1, 6, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, or night lines 31, 32, 34). If you are traveling by car, use one of public garages and walk to the square.